Monday, March 2, 2009

T1W5 Stake Conference!


Dear Family,

The attached pictures is just from my MTC district in the MTC. An elder sent it to me so I thought I'd forward it on. This week flew by. I can't believe it snowed back home. Sounds like things are happening though: Dad's trip, Miriam's trip, Emma's new job etc.. Now we just need Clarissa to get married or something. Haha.

So, the week started off great with a zone p-day at a member's home. It was a lot of fun. They had pool and a movie theater. A pool too but we we can't swim. Haha. (Editor's note: I know, I know, she already said they had a pool, but again, essence of Camille. I'd rather leave it.) We had interviews with the president and his wife. The best part of the interview is the end where he prays. He prayed for me and for the family specifically. It was very sincere and specific that you guys will receive the blessings that come from me serving diligently. The spirit was so powerful as he prayed. He served in Hawaii so he likes to hear me tell him about Clarissa's experiences there. I told him how you've picked up a little bit of pigeon and he busted out in some pigeon. It was pretty hilarious because he's a very polished guy. Anyways, also during the interview he asked if I had any needs--I told him I would like to stay with Hermana Draney so we can see these baptisms happen that are coming up. He explained to me the situation that they have 5 new Spanish sisters coming in this transfer so they need trainers so I might have a "greenie breaker" next week- we'll see!

This week we were teaching a family and the father came in just completely drunk. We were teaching the law of chastity to the mother, asking her to get married to the father of her kids who she lives with and she was explaining to us that she's been thinking of separating from him because he is always drunk. When he walked in I felt this awful sadness. I knew she had desires to raise her family in the Church before but because her husband was always drunk come Sunday morning they could never make it to church. It is hard when that kind of situation comes up. We are not there to break up families but we are hoping to work with the father to overcome the drinking. It is amazing how important the law of chastity is, as well as the word of wisdom.

We had stake conference yesterday which was downtown because we are in a Spanish stake and it covers a huge area. The stake center is down in the Galleria area, which is a really nice part of the city. It reminded me of DC instead of Mexico. Haha. It was a televised conference to the members in Texas, OK, and NM. The speaker was a surprise. It happened to be Quintin Cook, Uchtdorf, and Richard Edgely. President Uchtdorf ironically talked about preparing to serve a mission. He talked about how every home should have
Preach My Gospel and try to incorporate something from there in FHE. We were listening to it translated into Spanish. It was great to see so many Hispanic families there. The conference was great and we were able to see all of the Spanish Missionaries and even Spanish Missionaries from the other missions in Houston.

Buenas Noticias! Or Good News! This friday night our investigators Alva and Nacho are getting married!!!! That means that two weeks from then they will be baptized. Hermana Draney and I are sooo excited. Alva is so excited too. She has been waiting for this day (when Nacho's heart would be softened by the Lord) for a long time. He is so ready to be baptized now. He participates in our lessons and has changed his life for the gospel. You can see the change it has made in their family. We read the record from other missionaries that tried to teach them and he was just stubborn and not willing to even listen.

I hope all is well and it is great to hear from everyone. I love you!

Camille


No comments: