Saturday, September 26, 2009

T3W5 6 Month Birthday!

Dear Family,

Sounds like a lot is going on at home. Make sure to write! I want to hear not just from Mom! Congrats to Rae on getting your permit.

This week we worked hard but are still looking for some good investigators that are ready and prepared to receive the gospel. Victor (brother of Dolores- my first baptism in this area) was interviewed by a counselor in the mission presidency this past Sunday and will be baptized the coming Sunday. President Cue shared with us that we have really helped him make the decision to change his life around. I know that we are merely instruments though and because we were worthy of the presence of the Spirit, he was able to receive that witness that he needed during every lesson we have taught him.

Tuesday was my 6 month birthday. It's crazy to think I only have 2/3 of my mission left. I still feel very young in the mission but really I am one of the more 'seasoned' or 'older' sisters. As I've reflected on the past 6 months I have seen so much growth in my testimony and in myself spiritually. The countless experiences where the Spirit's presence was very strong have been priceless.

This week we went by E. Picazo who loves us and calls us her angels but is stubborn in accepting the story of Joseph Smith. Her son, Antonio, left last week to Mexico to be with his wife and children. He lived with her and kept her company while trying to earn money to send to his own family. We decided to go by because the last lesson we had she was a little more open. When we went by, she invited us in and we decided to sing the hymn, Abide With Me 'Tis Eventide (Conmigo Quedate Senor). It was pretty late and we only had not much time to teach her before we had to get back by curfew. As we sang the song, she started to cry. By the end of the song she was just bawling and could not help herself. Before we sang I shared a story about the song. When I was attending BYUH, Bishop McMurtrey shared a story about how singing that song calmed a storm when they were out on a boat caught in raging waves. Hermana Dewey and I bore our testimony of the comfort the Savior's atonement brings and that today He is at the head of this church with outstretched hands offering His love. The Spirit was so powerful. We invited to her to turn to prayer and read in her Book of Mormon more to be able to fill the void that was was left with Antonio moved out.

We were blessed with the opportunity to serve as we recognized a need for food with a certain family we have been teaching. We gathered all of the cans from our pantry that had been left from previous missionaries and were able to collect a good amount of food for the family just from what we had that was not being used. I also got the package from Mom that morning before we found out. As I was going through it again later that day, I was impressed to put my can of soup (that I was so excited for) and the Sour Patch Kids in the collection of food too. We delivered the food along with another copy of the Book of Mormon so the kids didn't have to share. They were so grateful. Their faces lit up with joy and their expression of gratitude was so heartfelt. My heart was full as we left very quickly being able to impart of our substance to someone in need.

I hope everyone is doing well and doing the things you know you should be doing to be worthy of the Spirit at those times when you will need Him.

I love you all.

Camille

No comments: