Saturday, September 26, 2009

T4W6 Alex's Baptism

Dear Family,

Wow, it's been such a dramatic week here! We found out about transfers on Saturday night. The district has a tradition of going to Red Robin then doing a ceremony to announce the changes afterward. The dinner was fun. Here's the news: I'm staying in the Woodlands this next transfer and Hermana Gurney, my companion, is going to go whitewash an elder's area with the greenie that came in last transfer (Hermana Green, ha ha, how ironic). My companion will be Hermana Thomas, from Centerville, UT, who was Hermana Gurney's MTC companion. Apparently she really struggled with Spanish coming out to the field so hopefully I will be able to help her there.

This week was a bit crazy. We are doing service once a week at an Arboretum. We also did exchanges with Hermanas Draney and Bastian in Louetta. Hermana Draney came up to the Woodlands with me for the night. We had a lot of fun back together, mother and daughter. She goes home tomorrow. I can't believe it. That makes me feel so old in the mission. We had so much to talk about. She spent almost half her mission in the Woodlands and she thinks I will be here for at least 6 months too. We taught some good lessons. She is going back to BYU and trying to get married. Ha ha, that's going to be me in a year. I loved my trainer. I still learned so much from her that one day. She is a great missionary. It was nice to see her one last time before she "dies."

Saturday the North Zone Leaders called us and told us Hermana Quintana in Cityview was sick with strep throat and asked us to come down and do some splits so Hermana Frieszell could get some lessons taught still. Their appointments were at night, which meant we wouldn't have been able to make it back for the Red Robin transfer dinner. After a couple minutes of feeling resistant to helping them, a very strong spiritual impression told me to stop being selfish and accept the will of the Lord. I learned a great lesson in that 5 minute period about taking advantage of the the opportunities we get to serve others. The Relief Society lesson was on service and I had an opportunity to share that experience with the Sisters in the ward. Being able to tell that story in Spanish made me realize the power of the gift of tongues and several of the sisters thanked me for that comment.

If you remember from last week when we did exchanges with CityView, it was Hermana Hollenbaugh and Hermana Frieszell in the area. Apparently Hermana Hollenbaugh went home. I don't exactly know why- just that she was sick. I think it was anxiety. It is weird thinking about how we both embarked on this journey together in the MTC and how she is no longer here.

Yesterday after church I was able to go to Bear Creek for the Alcantara's baptism. It was a surprise and everyone was so happy to see me. It was great to see so many familiar faces and to see these to little boys of a family I reactivated making this sacred covenant. They have changed and progressed so much. Hermana Dewey was sick with strep throat and was not going to come to the baptism but it was really important to everyone so they got her a mask and brought her. She looked very sick, but it was good to see her.

We rushed back to the Woodlands after the Alcantara Baptism and had Alex's baptism. Alex S. is the 15 year-old boy that had been waiting for his dad to get custody of him. I was able to get my hands on a flute and Hermana Gurney plays the piano, so we did a musical number, I Heard Him Come. The Spirit was so powerful. I congratulated him afterward and he said he had been waiting his whole life for that moment. He was so happy and the fact that there were few people there and few refreshments did not bother him. He is going to serve a mission someday. His testimony is so strong.

I am excited for this coming transfer. We are continuing to do well in finding many people and teaching a lot of lessons. Ramon will be baptized in the coming week.

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer.

Love you all,

Camille

No comments: