Tuesday, February 24, 2009

MTC Week 10

Hola Familia!

Thank you, Mom, for your letters. I appreciate knowing what is going on at home. Sounds like Miriam enjoyed her little vacay. Emma please write me! Rae- I enjoyed your talk a lot. Always be prepared to serve a mission- because like me, the direction from the Lord may come as a great surprise. Please Facebook Elioma/Elley Osere for her contact information- I keep thinking about her and I am prompted to send the missionaries. Mom and Dad- you are both in my prayers. Please know that. I trust that the Lord will help with any challenges in life if we do our part and have the faith that He is all powerful. How is Clarissa? Who are the boys these days? Speaking of boys, I have a funny story so if I can today I'll send a letter to you, Clarissa, with it. Ben!!! My friend, Hna. Hepner, who called the house, thought Rae was soooo funny how she was yelling for you. I love you all.

This week has been very long because most of our district has been gone so it has just been a few of us. We have been calling in the Referral Center in Spanish which is very hard because people speak very fast and over the phone you can't see their lips. But I was able to send the missionaries to a couple people who enjoyed their free DVDs and Book of Mormons they requested from TV commercials.

We practiced teached a couple of sisters that are in the English as a Second Language Program--straight from Ecuador. They are trying to learn English and as they taught us, I was very humbled by their efforts to speak our difficult language. As we taught them, her patience and kindness with my imperfect Spanish got me really excited for the Latinos that I will teach in Houston. It is funny seeing them around because everyone says "Hola, Como Estas" to them and they try hard to "Speak Your Language"(that your learning) and respond in English.

Also, Sunday night's fireside was quite interesting. It was Stephen B. Allen, who is director of training I believe. This is the third time we've heard from him. The last two times he brought in a couple of the cast from this reality series called the District that was made to teach us how to be Preach My Gospel Missionaries. This time he talked a lot about or diligence in the work. At the end he picked a row in the bleachers "5 rows up and 7 people in- come down to the microphone!" That happened to include me and my comp. It was shocking out of 2000 missionaries. We had to go down and say one thing we left behind to come on the mission. I said a FT offer at PWC. I was the last to go out of the 7 and a lot of people commented because a couple of the earlier elders gave silly answers like "my cell phone" and "cartoons." It's funny that sometimes you really see the age difference. My friend Ally, or Sister Taylor, said to me "way to go for representing our maturity as Sisters!"

I am hoping I do not get hurt today. Satan is very apparent here in the days before departure with the tons of injuries that occur. Sunday night my roommate Hna. Cruz fell while getting off her bunk bed and sprained her ankle. She left to Guatemala yesterday--luckily she was able to get around on it.

I am just so excited to serve. I realize I still have a long way to go in my efforts to become as the Savior in my thoughts, acts, and deeds put I know that my weaknesses are forgiven as I try each day to serve better.

One more time- I am flying Delta 4580 departing at 10:04 and arriving at 2:12pm tomorrow. We are leaving here at 6:00am so we should be at the airport around 7:00am. That would be 9am EST to about 11:20 EST that I would be available to call. My comp's bros and sisters are staying home from school for an hour just to get to say hi. If there is anyway I can talk to Rae and Ben too, DearElder me! I will call each of the cell phones to get a hold of the sisters too.

Love you.

Camille

No comments: